Wednesday, March 11, 2009

JDate and Match and eHarm, Oh My!

So my bunnies, tonight's topic du jour is, you guessed it, online dating!

A while ago, my friends and I were having a discussion about various online dating sites and whether or not we deemed online dating to be desperate or resourceful. A few of them seemed open to the idea and one had even joined eHarmony, but I was adamantly against the concept. While I appreciated the implied convenience of screening potential dates before actually wasting your time with them, I argued that those sites must be full of ogreish men who were too shy and/or ugly to approach girls in person. Exhibit A:

Well, my friendlies, it turns out that I was right...and wrong.
Let me explain...

So remember last week, when I was recovering from the Manbaby Fiasco of 2009? Well, my friend BCBG came over to cheer me up and we wound up spending some quality time browsing her JDate matches...suffice it to say, it was both magical and hilarious. While there were ogres and d-bags aplenty, there was also a healthy smattering of normal looking, well-adjusted man situations in the mix.

After BCBG explained how the whole process of online dating works, and I think a bit of the stigma dissolved for me. I'm nowhere near ready to settle down yet, but I wouldn't mind casually dating, and it's nearly impossible to meet suitable men in bars these days. Yes, you can meet a nice guy with whom you're compatible, but that always almost ends in a one night stand, not a first date. So, with BCBG's guidance, I've gone viral with my love life...

Initially, I signed up for eHarmony, but quickly realized that their method of matching people based on their "29 dimensions" was not going to work. Despite my preference settings, eHarm was convinced that my perfect match is approximately 5'6" and 32-years old. Not okay eHarm, not okay.

After my hate/hate relationship with eHarm ended prematurely, I joined the infamous Match.com. Within an hour, I had 5 winks (mostly from creeps) and a few messages. I deleted all but one, and he and I have been messaging back and forth since then, so we shall see! I'm so sorry TonyBaby1524, but your epic guidotastic-ness just doesn't do it for me. Prep school and a lack of sideburns are mutually exclusive, or didn't you know?
Well, that's it for now friendlies. Many more updates to come on this fascinating topic!

XOXO - Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics